Title Ministry Intern (full time – 40 hours per week)
Reports to Head of Ministry area
Job Family This role is based in the ‘Ministry’ family, with some time spent working with the ‘Support’ family
Main Purpose To grow in Christian maturity and leadership in a particular ministry area, combining bible-handling and theological training with hands-on ministry experience alongside the particular Ministry Team, so that the people are discipled, evangelised and equipped to be lifelong followers of Jesus Christ in fellowship with his church, whilst considering your options for future ministry. There will also be some practical service aspects to the role in the wider life of the church.
Key First, Ministry Interns will receive training both on-site and off-site in three key areas
Responsibilities (1 day per week):
• Theology and bible handling skills
• Core ministry areas within the church
• Specific chosen ministry training
Secondly, Ministry Interns will be trained in and assist the Head of Ministry according to the chosen ministry area below (3 days per week):
• Teaching the bible to large and small groups
• Planning and preparation for group sessions and large events
• Working with parents and families to disciple children
• Learning team management and support skills
• Involvement in our outreach to schools and families and our weekly Sunday ministry to children
• Disciple, evangelise and equip young people to become lifelong followers of Jesus in fellowship with his church
• Teach the bible so that young people grow in loving and following Christ
• Learn to recruit, equip and nurture volunteer leaders to disciple young people
• Care pastorally for young people and engage in 1-1 discipleship
• Prepare, plan and run regular groups and one-off events
• Encouraging and equipping our members to love, serve and give within St James and in the nearby area
• Creating and sustaining a database of volunteers and their skills
• Helping to facilitate and run Community Café on Tuesdays, working with those with and without learning disabilities and mental health issues
• Assisting with the coordination of the Winter Night Shelter and partnering with other likeminded organisations
• Work with the Music Minister to develop a Christ-centred culture of worship, including composing, arranging and part-writing for Sundays and special events
• Learn to lead sung worship at services, plan rehearsals and engage in one-to-one discipleship with musicians
• Grow and manage the technical team to ensure the effective use and running of all multimedia at Sunday services, with full training given
• Assist with administration, including management of song databases and CCLI reports, with full training given
Thirdly, Ministry Interns will also be involved in some ‘hands on’ ministry (1 day per
• Setting up for events and meetings
• General office administration
• Various domestic tasks
• Some Saturday work and evening work may be required
Knowledge and Ministry Interns must have a commitment to Jesus Christ as personal Lord and
Qualifications Saviour and a desire to teach the tenets of the Christian faith, fundamental Christian values and how to apply these to life situations when required. Ministry Interns will have a desire to develop in teaching the bible in a culturally relevant way and will have a character that exemplifies a disciple of Jesus Christ. Ministry interns will have a passion and heartfelt concern for people to follow Christ and will be in agreement with the St James vision and ethos.
Job Context Ministry Interns are deployed as volunteer workers by the church. A separate local Christian trust provides a living grant for day to day expenses. The total living grant is £5,060 per annum. Accommodation will be provided in the home of one of our church family. There will be no bills or council tax to pay. Some out of hours working will be required. There will be a three-month probationary period, reviewed by line manager. Those working with children and vulnerable adults will be subject to enhanced DBS disclosure.
Key Relationships Head of Ministry area and Head of Operations
To Apply All applications should include a CV and a short piece including your testimony and why you would like to join the team.
Please send applications to
Paul Ellerby, Head of Operations: email@example.com
Children’s Ministry Associate (Under 5s)
Part Time (27 hours)Salary £10,000-£12,500
St James Muswell Hill is a large and thriving evangelical church in North London.
We have an exceptional opportunity for someone with a passion for teaching children under five to work as part of our Children’s Ministry Team starting in September. You will disciple and share the gospel with young children and their families. The role involves developing and leading our midweek and Sunday volunteer teams to enable our toddler groups and Sunday groups to continue to flourish.
The closing date for applications is Friday 30 June 2017.
Interviews will be held week commencing 10 July 2017.
For the full job description, please contact
Ashley.firstname.lastname@example.org 020 8442 2822
There is a genuine occupational requirement that the successful candidate will be a Christian.
Employment is subject to enhanced DBS disclosure.
Contacts for Vacancies
St James Muswell Hill
We want everyone who comes to St James to feel welcome, whether it’s for to a Sunday service, a midweek activity, or a special event.Find out more about us